Forgot your password?
Need confirmation email?
at 4:54PM PST on December 21, 2007.
RE: Playing sport with Wii won't burn off the fat, says...
From the study, the key points :
- 51% more expenditure compared to XBOX (actually PGR3 on X360)
- 60 calories per hour for Wii (and maybe 40 calories per hour for X360, using 51% more info)
- No information about what constitute typical week of computer play, but I think it is a small figure (probably < 10 hours per week), since total energy expenditure is increased by < 2 percent per week.
- Wii Sport is still a good game, since it "prompts a teenager to practise basic motor control and fundamental movement skills is a plus"
- "Given the current prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity, such positive behaviours should be encouraged," it says.
- "The energy used when playing Wii Sports games was not of high enough intensity to contribute towards the recommended daily amount of exercise in children," say the authors.
I failed to see how the article can conclude "Parents are fooling themselves if they hope Nintendo's Wii active games console will stop their youngster becoming obese" from "The energy used when playing Wii Sports games was not of high enough intensity to contribute towards the recommended daily amount of exercise in children,"
Sensationalist article ?
[ Oracle ]
[ Level 30 ]
[ Rank: 14935 ]
is the video game stock market and the source for
video game sales
Learn why you should join >
Terms of Service
Copyright © 2006 - 2011 The simExchange, LLC. All rights reserved.
THE SIMEXCHANGE, graphics, logos, icons, and other service names are trademarks of The simExchange, LLC.